Here is a
fascinating piece of Happiness research something that may change forever
how you view your own happiness. Geneticists agree that our DNA is coded for
happiness. Yes, that's right, we have a "Happy Gene". And some of us are
therefore, more endowed than others!
Back to Global Happiness
Our DNA coding is said to be 50% responsible for how happy we are. The good
news if you are not very happily endowed, is that the other 50% of our
ability to be happy is under our control. By that, I mean, we have a choice
in the matter.
Granted it is easier to choose happiness if we wake up feeling rested, we
are eager for the day's activities and we are already in a positive mood.
Since that is not always the case, you may need to re-program yourself so
you can be agreeable to choosing happiness. Here are tried and true
activities that are known to shift people's mood to the positive:
1. Sit in a comfortable position and meditate for a few minutes. Review the
days activities and have your thoughts create a positive and successful
2. Play with your pets, particularly petting your cat or dog is a soothing
3. Sit outdoors and enjoy your garden or stop at a scenic place on your way
into work and absorb the beauty.
4. Keep a gratitude journal and write down daily 3 things in your life for
which you are grateful.
5. Listen to your favourite or soothing music in the morning.
6. Listen to a motivational tape.
7. Exercise in the morning rather than the evening even if it is for only a
8. Eat healthy the body craves vegetables and reacts unfavourably to white
sugar and white flour.
9. Ask for a good long hug from a friend or family member.
10. Kiss your honey good bye, wish them a great day and mean all of it!