Mingle Roo Social Network

"We bring People together"

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > An Interesting Article!

Mingle Roo Social Network
Site Owner

Here is an interesting article I found for all you who might be using Hotmail......

Hotmail switches to Outlook

The world’s most popular email client of the past 10 years was recently overtaken by Gmail and has reacted by forcing clients to change to the new look Outlook client. Drew explains what this means and shares some handy shortcuts.

I have been a user of the Hotmail client since I first started my embarrassingly named hotmail account over 15 years ago. In that time, I don't remember a single update being made to the layout of the email client which had any effect on how I use the system. The new client email client called Outlook is very similar to the system used by Gmail and is based around conversations instead of single emails. Hotmail are slowly switching accounts over to the new system so you can expect the changes to hit your inbox soon.

I have shared below a quick how to guide on activating Outlook shortcuts to make your email experience more pleasant.

Not moved to Outlook yet?

If your system is still using the old Hotmail client, I would suggest you change over now if you have some spare time to figure the system out, as Hotmail will suddenly change you over otherwise. To do so, log into your Hotmail account and go to your Inbox page. Your name will appear in the top right-hand-side of this page. Below this will be a few options. The one you are after is 'Options'. Click on the 'Options' button and from the drop-down menu click on 'Upgrade to Outlook.com'. From the pop-up screen, click on 'Upgrade to Outlook'.

Activating Shortcuts

Start by looking into your account. Your name will appear in the top right-hand-side of this page. To the left of it is a cog symbol. Click on the symbol and from the drop down menu click on 'More mail settings'. From the next page, under the 'Customizing Outlook' section, click on 'Keyboard shortcuts'. Select the 'Outlook.com' box and click 'Save'.

Shortcuts

New email: N

Send email: Ctrl + Enter

Reply: R

Reply to All: Shift + R

Forward: Shift+F

Open Email: O

Close Email: Esc

Delete Email:Del

Mark as Junk: J

Move to folder: V

Mark as Read: Q